Sunday, June 26, 2011

Common Mistakes in Online Marketing


We have talked about some aspects of successful online marketing, and I wanted to spend some time addressing some common mistakes. There are certain techniques that advertisers constantly use, which are not only unsuccessful, but will elicit strongly negative reactions in the consumer. When I see some advertisers using these techniques, not only do I ignore them, I will sometimes never visit the website again. 

1.       Obtrusive commercials: 


 For an online advertisement to be effective to me, it must draw me in, NOT force me to view it. As we have discussed in class before, it is becoming easier than ever for consumers to ignore and actively avoid advertisements they find displeasing. Viewers can use products such as AdBlock which allows a webpage to load without showing any advertisements at all.

The worst offenders are the commercials with sound that play automatically. I like to listen to music on my computer as I'm browsing, and when I begin to hear a commercial which I cannot close easily, I will simply close the window to the website altogether.

2.      Too many newsletters


Many companies believe that when a person has opted-in to get their email newsletters, they are getting permission to send as many as they can. I enjoy getting email newsletters: They are informative, and increase awareness of a sale for the consumer. However, when a company sends me more than one email per week, I tend to start getting annoyed. I like hearing from these companies; but I do not want my inbox clogged up with their emails.

'The solution to this is simple: Give users options of how often they want a newsletter sent. I was having this problem with Victoria's Secret emails, and when I clicked on "unsubscribe", it led me to a page which allowed me to change how often I receive a newsletter.  

3.       Ads in Text


If a website has advertisement that appears when one hovers over certain words, or links within the content that lead to an advertisement, I will never visit it again. Period.

4.       Slow loading website


This may be less of a concern as more people begin to have faster internet connections, however, today it is still a problem. As a noticed in the post about the Evian campaign, a slow website (especially one that crashes the browser) will not only increase frustration, but also build resentment in the consumer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment